Monday, June 2, 2014

Chair no more...

So for several years now, I've worked as both a professor and as a department chair of a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics) department at the community college where I've taught for the past 15 years now.  It involved the oversight of a dozen full-time and several dozen adjunct faculty, a couple of staff members, science labs, a relatively large budget, and lots of administrivia.

For a myriad of personal and professional reason, I decided this semester to go back to teaching full-time and leave the administrative bullshit to someone else effective June.  Well, it's now June.  I'm free of responsibility for a few weeks for the first time in years.  Will I relax in the sun?  Sleep in every day?  Get lots of yard work done?

No, most likely I'll spend some time in the field looking at local geology, hiking on nice days, revising my physical geology course running in the fall on rainy days (something I haven't had time to do for a few years), and writing (I have ideas for numerous books but have procrastinated writing for years).  I'm sure I'll be posting more on this blog as well.  What I won't be doing is dealing with other people's problems at work (the worst part of a chairperson's job!).

1 comment:

  1. A thankless job with crap from on high and from below. I'd never want to do it. Congratulations on getting back to teaching!

    ReplyDelete