Sunday, March 16, 2014

Winter Hikes

As I've mentioned before, in apologizing for posting so little this academic year, my job has been very demanding lately and it's been hard for me to find time to post (and, quite frankly, I haven't been very inspired these past few months - it's been a long, tough winter here in the Hudson Valley).

This week is my spring break and while I still have to work (it never ends), I do have a little more free time.  Also, it's not spring no matter what the calendar will say in a few days, we still have a fair amount of snow on the ground and the temperature for this fine Sunday afternoon is still in the 30s!

I have done some hiking in the past few months and had a chance to use my snowshoes a few times this winter which is atypical.  I had also bought some microspikes to strap on my boots which have been helpful as well given all the ice this year.

Here's what's been keeping me busy since the spring semester began in mid-January...

A mid-January hike around Lake Minnewaska on a gray and dreary day (it was snowing lightly).


An early February hike on a relatively warm (upper 30s) day from Spring Farm up to Cope's Lookout (one of my two favorite places on the Mohonk Preserve).


An early February excursion into an abandoned cement mine near Kingston to view some really neat ice spires that had formed (some over 6 feet high!).

Photos by Andy Milford

A mid-Feburary hike on a rare blue-sky day to mostly frozen Awosting Falls at Lake Minnewaska State Park.


An early March hike to Vernooy Kill Falls in the Catskills.

 

In late February, went to see the ice yachts sailing on the still frozen Hudson River.


And, just yesterday, a hike to Stony Kill Falls in the Shawangunks.


So, I've been busy even though not posting here!

No comments:

Post a Comment