Friday, May 3, 2013

Hydrogen

So, we've all heard of hydrogen.  First element on the periodic table.  Simplest atom with one electron orbiting one proton.  Logical symbol of "H" for the element.  I do have some vague memory (well, I only remember it because I spilled acid all over my hands - there's a reason I'm not a chemist) of making hydrogen gas in chemistry lab in college by pouring sulfuric acid on metallic zinc (H2SO4 + Zn => ZnSO4 + H2) but I never thought much about the name.
Anyway, I was reading a book the other day and it was talking about early experiments in chemistry.  Back in the mid-1700s, it was discovered that you can produce "flammable air" (hydrogen is flammable - think of the Hindenburg) by reacting metal filings (they used iron) with acids.  Furthermore, this "flammable air" produced water when burned in air (2H2 + O2 => 2H2O).  The famous French chemist Antoine Lavoisier (1743-1794) named the gas hydrogen from the Greek words ὕδρω (hydro) meaning "water" and γενῆς (genes) meaning "creator" since it formed water (more trivia - Lavoisier was guillotined during the French Revolution for political reasons at the age of 50 - a waste of a great mind).
 
Hydrogen is a "water former" when you burn it in oxygen.  Obvious and it makes sense.  Just never thought about it before.  I have no idea why it interests me to learn little bits of trivia like this, but it does.  Guess I'm strange.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite symbol is Hg, mercury. Symbol comes from classic name, "hydrargentem," or water silver.

    ReplyDelete